Sophie Guibaud started her career in investment banking in New York before joining a growth capital fund in Paris. She has spent the last 10 years designing and executing the go to market of Banking-As-A-Service (BAAS) & Embedded Finance propositions in Europe including team and operation building.
Along with investing in startups, she advised them on their development strategy. However, wanting to be more involved in startup operations, she moved to London and was instrumental in launching HelloFresh, a Rocket Internet food subscription-based company that IPO’ed for 1.7BEUR in 2017.
She is currently the Chief Growth Officer of OpenPayd, a London-based BAAS company that has developed a unique corporate cross-border banking and payments offering with its global network of licences, strong partner ecosystem and a single access point to their services. In this role, she is looking after New Business Generation, Strategic Partnerships and Group Development Strategy.
Before joining OpenPayd, she has made her marks as Head of Product Strategy and MD Europe at 2 European BAAS providers, Bankable and Fidor.
Over the years, She has built a broad array of fintech experience which includes:
* Launching a digital retail bank in the UK and rolling it out across Europe
* Restructuring a digital SME banking proposition
* Supporting the launch of multiple neobanks
* Launching brand new embedded finance use cases for customers within the digital economy
She has also mentored multiple fintech startups across diverse geographies in the UK, Europe and Asia and launched propositions which gives her a unique outlook on where the industry is going. She is currently on the advisory board of PayU, Nasper’s fintech arm (Tencent’s main shareholder).
On top of her operational responsibilities at OpenPayd, Sophie is a genuine thought-leader and commands a strong following across the fintech and tech ecosystem.
* hosts a weekly Clubhouse session, Beyond Fintech, with Top Fintech Influencers in the Fintech and Payments Club (which has a fast-growing membership of 40,000+)
* has delivered speaking engagements on some of the world’s largest fintech stages including Innovate Finance Global Summit, CogX, LendIt, Paris Fintech Forum, Intersekt, Hong Kong Fintech Festival, Sifted
* is the author of a blog-series on embedded finance which has attracted 30,000+ views
Sophie’s content is aiming to address the hype bubble that persists in fintech and educate the market on the real and immediate potential for embedded finance, banking as a service and open banking. Sophie is on a mission to demonstrate that big techs can and will be a fintech through the launch of her Beyond Fintech series and is excited to see predictions she made ten years ago coming true.
For her work within the Fintech industry, she received multiple industry recognition such as Standout 35 2018 and 2019 by Innovate Finance, 35 Women under 35 from Management Today / The Telegraph and European Digital financial Services ‘Power 50’ from Digital Banking Club.