CDL-Oxford is currently looking to recruit two Senior Venture Managers to join the Creative Destruction Lab team on a fixed term basis until August 2022.
The Creative Destruction Lab (CDL), is a not for profit organisation that delivers an objectives-based programme for massively scalable, seed stage, science- and technology-based companies. The programme has created more than $7.5bn (£4.3bn) in equity, targeting ventures that have the potential to transform our social, industrial and economic landscape.
Originally conceived at the University of Toronto’s Rotman School of Management in 2012, there are now nine CDL programmes based at leading business schools globally. CDL-Oxford opened as the first site outside of North America in 2019, based at Saïd Business School, CDL-Oxford concentrates on the areas of Artificial Intelligence and Health.
The Senior Venture Manager will assume responsibility for supporting the CDL-Oxford site operations, focusing on venture recruitment across the UK and Europe, providing business development support to CDL Ventures and leading initiatives to support the growth and continuous improvement of the programme.
We are specifically looking for candidates with experience in the areas of FinTech, Health, Renewable Energy, or Ag Tech.
This role will work closely with the site academic lead at Oxford Saïd, Professor Thomas Hellmann; Director, Sarah Barratt Ball, and colleagues across the CDL-Global Platform.
CDL Leadership & Operations
● Oversee Venture Analysts and Summer Interns, managing their workflow.
● Have significant control and impact over the CDL Stream, acting as the senior most member of the VM team.
● With the Director, source new high profile opinion leaders to act as mentors for the CDL Oxford programme, building relationships to encourage participation.
Recruitment and selection
● Manages relationships with centres of innovation in the local, national and European ecosystem, including universities, venture capital funds, incubators and accelerators, and tech associations, to build a strong pipeline of CDL venture applicants.
● Leads the outreach strategy for the recruitment of an incoming cohort, promoting CDL-Oxford nationally and internationally through presentations and external site visits.
● Oversees the pipeline of CDL prospects and monitors and helps convert leads to applications.
● Leads recruitment efforts through research, data management and coordination.
● Assesses the suitability of early-stage science and engineering-based ventures that apply to the CDL programme.
● Interviews applicant companies, assesses them and with consultation decides which should be admitted to the programme.
● Acts as the key liaison between ventures, scientists and students.
● Provides strategic support and guidance to up to 25 ventures accepted onto the programme, especially at specific milestones.
● Support the management of the Venture Management Team, including Venture Managers, Venture Analysts, and Summer Interns, by providing direction and coordination to effectively complete tasks related to the management of Ventures.
● Develops and executes the delivery of bespoke acceleration programming for each venture, particularly throughout October-June when the cohort is live on the overall programme. Programme delivery will be continuous in this period.
● Designs and delivers ad-hoc workshop style programming for the entire cohort as required.
● Sources facilitators for other programming requirements (e.g. Associates/Mentors who may run masterclasses) from national and international networks.
● Creates a community of entrepreneurs where peer to peer interaction and support has a direct impact on the founders’ personal leadership development as well as the development of the start-up.
● Acts as venture ambassador, promoting ventures externally and exploring advantageous opportunities nationally and internationally.
● Develops ventures summaries and venture updates for each venture accepted onto the programme.
● Provides direction to the Venture Management team in the creation of workflow processes to enable effective management of stakeholders and tasks.
● Oversees documentation workflow.
● Coordinates resources, recruits Ventures and implements processes
● Provide support to CDL Global for special projects and events with significant scope and international presence
● Coordinate with CDL Global to implement new programming and opportunities around research and development, stream expansion, alumni engagement, Global recruitment etc
● STEM degree or technology background at the graduate or postgraduate level.
● A minimum of 5 years experience in working with start-up companies, technology companies or venture capital is an asset.
● Strong analytical ability and understanding of business models and drivers of success in start-ups across several verticals.
● Ability to analyse and systematically evaluate ventures. Proficiency with financial modelling, conducting market analysis and strategic planning is required
● Experience of and confidence in working in high-performance teams with multiple stakeholders.
● Entrepreneurial and highly motivated approach with a strong interest in start-ups and venture capital.
● Strong, team-orientated work ethic with the expectation of working independently and autonomously.
● Excellent written and verbal communication in English.
All applications are to be made online. Please submit a CV and cover letter as part of your application.
The closing date for applications is 12.00 noon on Monday 30th November 2020.